How Often Do I Need Air Duct Cleaning in Greenville, SC
An air duct cleaning company uses video equipment to peek deep inside your ductwork. It also uses professional tools to freshen up HVAC ducts. A lot of air flows through them each day, often along with dust, dirt, allergens, pet hair, dust mites, and debris from rodents and insects. Ductwork can also harbor smoke, soot, water contamination, and toxic mold; therefore, a ductwork inspection and air duct cleaning in Greenville, SC, would seem crucial to your family’s health and safety
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) does not recommend a regular schedule for air duct cleaning. Nevertheless, the aptly named trade group, National Air Duct Cleaners Association (NADCA), suggests a once-a-year air duct check by a professional (and a cleaning job every 3 to 5 years or up to 8 years depending on the cleaning method).
Essentially, it recommends ductwork cleaning on an as-needed basis.
A DIY Duct Cleaning Doesn’t Go Far Enough
Cleaning ductwork yourself is the cheapest route. But it only partially removes debris from air ducts. Conventional methods just reach the end sections of return and supply ducts and often move debris toward vents where it’s blown into the air. A professional duct cleaning, which can cost several hundred to up to $1,000, covers your entire ductwork and removes any debris that’s present.¹
When Should I Schedule an Air Duct Cleaning in Greenville, SC
Ductwork can become contaminated whether it was cleaned a month, a year, or three years ago. You should consider contacting a local HVAC company or air duct cleaning specialist in the following situations:
- Signs of Mold: Air ducts are dark, damp, and humid. In other words, they’re the perfect environment for mold to grow. If you see mold on vents, it’s also likely growing inside your ducts. A musty smell or symptoms like coughing, headache, or itchiness are signs mold is present. A professional should remove it and sanitize the area.
- An Infestation: If you see mice, rats, or bugs near your ducts and there are debris, odors, or changes in your HVAC system’s performance, your ductwork may be infested. A duct cleaning professional can eradicate the bugs or vermin and prevent them from returning.
- Dirty Vents/Registers: Dust and debris around air vents have likely come from your air ducts. It’s safe to assume your ductwork is contaminated, which can affect indoor air quality and your health. It may harbor particles, pathogens, and chemicals that can trigger allergy symptoms and respiratory illnesses.
- High Energy Bill: A thin layer of dust can increase friction and restrict airflow. More significant blockages can have an even more detrimental effect on your HVAC system. In either case, it will work harder and therefore use more energy. Airflow issues can also strain ducts and cause leaks, which allow conditioned air to escape, so the unit runs longer to compensate. Call a professional whenever your energy bill suddenly spikes.
- Construction or Renovation Work: If there was recent construction around your home or it underwent a major renovation, dust, and debris will probably be everywhere. Dust from these activities can be toxic and carcinogenic. Schedule a duct cleaning shortly after any construction or renovation work is completed.
- You’ve Never Had a Duct Cleaning: If you’ve lived in a home that’s 10+ years old with no record of duct cleaning, there’s no telling what may be lurking in your ductwork. Don’t ignore other warning signs or the opportunity to have your system checked.
Air duct cleaning doesn’t need to be done regularly. But it should be considered when necessary. Knowing when to call for service can improve efficiency and the health and safety of your household.
Call Waldrop for a Professional Air Duct Cleaning
Waldrop is an air duct cleaning specialist serving Greenville and Spartanburg Counties. Our professionals are trained, certified, and equipped with the latest tools to thoroughly clean ducts and eliminate any indoor air quality issues. To request an air duct cleaning in Greenville, SC, schedule service on the web, contact us online, or call (864) 536-0887.